“It is worthy a remark that, though the Ward includes parts of several parishes, there is not even a whole street in it” John Noorthhouck (1773).
Map of Lime Street Ward – 1750 from Old and New London 1860’s
Lime Street Ward is a very small ward. It probably takes its name from the production of lime in the vicinity during medieval times. (although it is said that no evidence of lime kilns have been found in the area. Another variation is that Lime Trees used to be planted outside Leaden Hall.
It is bounded to the north by Camomile Street, and the boundary with Bishopsgate Ward; to the east by St Mary Axe, the boundary with Aldgate Ward.
Our Southern and Eastern Boundaries are more complicated. Our Boundary includes Lime Street but then cuts back up through part of Leadenhall Market, into Gracechurch Street and north up to Camomile St.
Following a Boundary Review for the 2013 Common Council Elections our Boundary was changed, we lost the southern part of Leadenhall Market to Langbourn Ward. A senior City figure who is closely connected to Langbourn and Langbourn Ward Club did observe “We still have not got The Lamb into our Ward”.
2013 revised boundary map
History of Lime Street Ward
A reasonably detailed History of Lime Street Ward – is in preparation – hopefully finished Dec 2020.
Lime Street Ward News and its future
One of the major issues facing the Lime Street Ward in the 2015 to 2020 period is planning, especially the growth of high rise buildings in the “Eastern Quadrant”.
Items of interest, will be included in here from time to time
A more detailed history of Cornhill Ward is in preparation – hopefully completed, by December 2020
Cornhill Ward is named after one of the three ancient hills of the City of London – the other two being Tower Hill and Ludgate Hill. The Ward is almost shaped like a pointed boot. The northern boundary being Wormwood Street. The western boundary runs down Old Broad Street into Threadneedle Street where it meets Cornhill which creates its southern side. A short detour into Birchin Lane cutting round the back of both St Peter’s and St Michael’s brings one into Bishopsgate (the Eastern Boundary).
The western boundary runs down Old Broad Street into Threadneedle Street where it meets Cornhill which creates its southern side. To read the latest Ward News Letter (and those from the other Wards) – click here